Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Brooke Saga continues

I thought things were getting better with Brooke, but then we take a few steps backwards. Every Thursday we go to the library for Brooke's ABC class. It's a class offered for 4 and 5 year olds to sort of help them get ready for Kindergarten by learning more about the ABC's. Brooke loves the class and loves her teacher. She asks often if it is ABC class day today. She loves gabbing with her teacher as we are often one of the first to show up. So you imagine my shock today when Brooke when into class, then came back out and started crying. She said she wanted to see me and that she wanted her sore throat to go away. Her throat has been bothering her mostly at night, and she hasn't really complained during the day. I wasn't sure whether to send her back in or not. I decided to try to get her to go back in. I swear, you never can tell when Brooke is going to have one of her freak out moments. She has been going to ABC class since September, and hasn't had a single problem. After some discussion, she finally went back in, still stifling back tears. I walked around as usual with DaKoda for about 15 minutes, when a library worker came up to me with Brooke. She was crying again. So I decided we had had enough and it was time to head home. I was checking out some videos and Brooke started goofing off with DaKoda. I was so ticked off! She wasn't acting at all like she was sick. I have no idea why she was acting out. I had told her earlier during our discussion that if she wanted to go to school for her Valentines Day party, she needed to go to ABC class. So what was I supposed to do now? After we spent 2 hours yesterday on these:




Brooke was hysterical by the time we got home. She was begging to go to school. So I let her go anyway. Yep, I totally didn't follow through on my threat. What was I supposed to do? Brooke is just going to keep throwing these fits and acting out when we keep giving in to what she wants. I feel like she is the parent in the house lately. I just don't know what to do as punishments anymore. Everything that has worked in the past is now failing. Ugh!

3 comments:

Noodle said...

Ugh that is so frusterating... I'm sorry I wish I could help... But I feel like I'm in the same boat with Sammy... Gotta love those little monsters even when they drive us crazy...

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you're still having a rough go of it. Have you figured out why she's acting out? Are kids making fun of her? Is she trying to get attention? Has something changed in your routine that she doesn't like?
If you had really wanted to be mean, you could have taken the valentine's to school and dropped them off and taken Brooke right back home. I don't know much about parenting sinc e Makua's behavior issues are still really basic, but I do know that consistency is very important. And not just consistency from you, but both you and Derek. Kids know what buttons to push to get what they want.
Logical consequences are important too I think. When I was in kindergarten I got a math workbook for my birthday. I loved it so much that I pretended I was sick so I could stay home and do stuff in the workbook (I was such a nerd- still am! :P ). Well, since I was "sick," all I was allowed to do was lay on the couch. No books. No quiet toys. No TV. Nothing. My mom never let on that she knew I was faking, but that day was pure torture. Since Brooke was acting sick, when you got home what was the consequence? If she responded that she didn't feel sick anymore then I'd try talking with her about lying, being able to trust her, etc.
Maybe after discussing what she did wrong, you could ask Brooke what her punishment should be for making a poor choice. My mom did that to me a lot. It kind of reinforced to me why my choice was wrong and it gave me some sense of control. If my punishment didn't make sense or I was too easy on myself, my mom would go over what I did wrong and try to help me find the logical consequence. Brooke may be too young for that, but she might surprise you.
Hope things get better. Stick to your guns. It's better to deal with squabbles now than to end up with a manipulative teenager

Jamie said...

Your family just keeps getting so cute every time I visit your blog! We are doing good, thanks !! How are you?