Saturday, April 18, 2009
Are you kidding me???!!!
That's how I feel right now. Brooke is sick again! She was coughing up a storm while we were up at Bear Lake. When we got home, I took her to the doctor who put her on an antibiotic. Just after finishing the 10 days, (Thursday night) she started coughing again. Yesterday was awful. She woke up running a fever which almost reached 102. After giving her some medicine and a short nap, she was feeling a little better. Not her normal self, but better. Then bedtime hit and she can't quit coughing. I gave her some medicine and snuggled with her until she fell asleep. She coughed a lot during the night. We constantly have a humidifier running in the girls' room because we have gotten practically every illness this year. So, we just keep it running. This morning we take her to her doctor again. He says he wants to wait for a day or two before starting her on a steroid. He wants us to do breathing treatments and see if she gets better first. I ask him about the email-newsletter from the pediatrician main headquarters saying that whooping cough is really bad right now. They said that usually our county doctors (the entire list of doctors) usually see around 3 cases per week. Lately they have seen around 10 per week. So I was a little nervous. Her doctor said, well, she's up to date on her immunizations, so she should be fine. (Which would make sense as to why DaKoda got the cough and was over it in a matter of 3 days. She is completely current with her immunizations.) He then asked, wait, has she had her 4 year shots yet? And I tell him, No, she is supposed to come back in on Tuesday (3 more days) because we had her well child check up before her birthday and he told us we had to wait to do her shots until after her birthday. (He told us to wait 2 months and then come back for them back in February. So, her appt is for Tuesday.) The doctor then said, well, yeah, she could have whooping cough then. WHAT???!!! I can't believe that just being late by 4 weeks - she turned 4 on March 15 - would make a world of difference.) So, all we can do is keep up with the breathing treatments and hope for the best. I just can't believe the year we have had. In the last 14 months, we have had RSV, croup, rotovirus, an eye infection, and now whooping cough!!!!! What the crap am I doing wrong? I am so ready to just cry. I don't want my poor babies to be in pain anymore. I know there are more serious illness's out there, and more devastating situations, but one after the other is really starting to wear me thin. I can say that I am a firm believer that you should definitely get your kids immunized as close to the recommendations as possible. Here I go, off to do another breathing treatment. Wish us luck. Better yet, pray for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
That sucks. I hate being sick and it's worse when your kid is sick. Makua has asthma and has to do breathing treatments. At first he hated them, but now he realizes they help him breathe better and he doesn't whine so much. Hope Brooke feels better soon.
lets just hope they are getting all of there sickness for the next few years over and done with right now... I feel that once my faily gets sick our imunie system just tanks and we get every thing... But I do addmit this year has been really bad for all kinds of sicknesses... I echo you statment of getting your kids immunized even though I have had a seaver alergic reaction to the MMR... I will still get my kids immunized its that important... We will keep you family and brook in our prayers..
Yikes! I hope she is feeling better! Here is the best advice I've learned from working with Dr Whiting and now at the hospital. Stay home as much as possible during the cold months. Avoid taking your kids to public places like church or the grocery store. If you have to just make sure you sanitize like crazy. I have become a paranoid crazy germ freak after working for doctors because you wouldn't believe how sick people are and still do all their regular activities.. then our kids get their illness. I kept my kids home most of the winter only going a few places when I felt necessary and Hunter only caught one minor cold that lasted 2 days. Trust me you'll go stir crazy, but I promise.. it'll keep your kiddos healhty. Good luck girl!
Oh man, I can't believe the sickness keeps hitting you guys! Hang in there and good luck!
I have heard whooping cough is bad this year too, I have to say I don't actually know what it is. Poor Brooke it sounds miserable, I have had a stupid cough for over a month now and I am about ready to scream with it. Sick kids are the worst, Luke has chronic lung disease from his prematurity and the poor kid has been sick this entire season, he has only caught maybe two colds but it takes him months to get over them, so I can sympathize. I will be hoping for the best for you!
Post a Comment