Monday, January 12, 2009
Brooke's in the Hospital!
Yesterday, DaKoda got sick again. In the middle of WalMart, she started throwing up. We went to Derek's parents house to watch the horrible Chargers game. DaKoda seemed better, she just wanted to sleep. Brooke acted like everything was fine. She was actually playing 'cops and robbers' with her aunt Denise. She even ate really well which she usually doesn't. After a few hours, she came to Derek and said her throat hurt. She fell asleep for about half and hour and then woke up by throwing up everything she had eaten. I threw her in the bath and could hear that DaKoda was still having diarrhea downstairs. Then Brooke started in with the diarrhea. We finally threw all the messy clothes into a bag and tried to get home as quick as possible. Both girls were asleep, but when we got into the house, DaKoda started throwing up. Literally, we would get one girl cleaned up and the other would start. Back and forth for about 3 hours, counting at Derek's parents, we had had enough. I was really worried about them getting dehydrated. So I finally called the on call doctor. I knew if I was able to talk to their actual doctors office, they would have admitted both girls over the phone. DaKoda had been checked out Friday night and then the doctor had me check in with him on Saturday morning. The doctor actually got on the phone himself. Nice, right? Well, DaKoda had acted fine on Saturday, just wouldn't eat anything. When we went to the on call doctor, Brooke was really bad. She couldn't even sit up on her own. Her mouth was completely dry. So that doctor wanted to put just Brooke in the hospital. DaKoda was still sick, but she wasn't dehydrated. He only had rights at two other hospitals which are a quite farther than the one we usually go to. We asked him to get a hold of her actual pediatrician and see if he would admit her. After a few minutes, the doctor came in and said that our doctor would meet us at the hospital we usually go to in the pediatric unit. So we drove straight down. It was awful watching Brooke get her IV. Both girls kept begging for something to drink. After they get Brooke all settled in, they offered both girls a popsicle. Brooke ate about half, DaKoda ate about a third. Derek had begun to feel sick while we had been at the doctors office, and finally couldn't hold it anymore. He started throwing up in the bathroom while Brooke began throwing up her popsicle. So I sat DaKoda down to help Brooke and DaKoda started crying. The nurse tried to pick up DaKoda and I was worried that DaKoda was going to start in as well. The nurse said, "Yep, she stinks." So I got Brooke cleaned up, then had to clean up DaKoda. Derek ran home to get me a few things, then came back to pick up DaKoda. After everything settled down, it was after 12:30 in the morning. Brooke woke up at 4:30 am, and asked again for something to drink. The nurse gave me some orange juice to let her sip on, and Brooke threw it up after about 15 minutes. She stayed awake until 6am. They came and gave her some Benadryl to help calm her tummy. Brooke slept until 7:30am. Yeah, can you say I am tired? She has eaten about 4 bites of Froot Loops and is now sipping on some 7up. The doctor came and checked on her and said if we could get her to hold down enough fluids that she can probably go home around dinner time. I will try to keep everyone posted on her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gosh Girl! you guys have thee worst luck! I am so sorry for little Brooke. Hospital stays seem worse when they are older huh. Poor girl, she is in our prayers along with all you guys. please let me know asap how things are and if you need anything at all.
-The Queen of Hospital stays... although that title might soon be relinquished to you.
You have had some really rotten luck with all the sickness lately. I hope she gets feeling better and gets to come home soon, that can't be fun.
Oh man! I'm so sorry! That sure doesn't sound like fun. I hope the girls feel better soon.
Post a Comment