Tuesday, September 23, 2008

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELT!!! (Derek's crazy job)

*Edited 10/3/08* Pregnant women wearing a seat belt are 84% less likely to suffer a miscarriage or major complication in a crash. -Parents magazine September 2008 Pg. 35



You will have to turn my music player off down at the bottom of my blog to be able to hear the news clip. Sorry!

In case you can't play the movie, you can read the story by clicking here.

Derek called me last night about 10:15 pm to say that he was going to be awhile. He was called out by highway patrol for a rollover accident. Derek doesn't have his Wreck Masters license yet, so he had to pick up his boss to go with him. (Only the highway patrol requires him to have this license.) When they arrived on scene, they found a yellow tarp covering a body near a fire truck. There was wreckage covering most of the 300 yards the car rolled. They had to wait over an hour before the highway patrol released the car to them. Then they had to try to get the car rolled back over, hook it up and pick up all the wreckage. It took them an hour and a half to do all that. So Derek didn't make it home until just after 2 am. Long night.

So the news covered most of the story, but the highway patrol shared a little more about what they had learned. Inside the car they found a ticket from Rocky Mountain Race Way. Apparently, they didn't get all their racing in out on the race track. The other car they mention that was full of their friends, were racing them down the freeway. Doing well over 80 miles an hour. The patrol said something to the fact that the friends did stop long enough to find out the driver had passed away and then left... and supposedly called the victim's mother to tell her that her son was dead. I can't believe they would call their friend's mother to say that. I would have let someone better equipped to handle the situation tell the parents. I am not sure how the highway patrol knew this, but that was what was mentioned.

When you watch the video, and they have shots of the tow truck, Travis Lindsay's body was just three feet behind the truck (out of view). They had to leave the body there until the medical examiner could arrive on seen. It was almost 3 hours that the body lay there. Right before Derek and his boss were about to leave, the paramedics asked if they (Derek and his boss) could help them get the body on the stretcher. (They were having a hard time lifting it. Not that Travis was really heavy, Derek said he was maybe 250 lbs. The two paramedics just were having a hard time. Heard through a grape vine that they were newbies - new to the job.)

You can see Derek various times through the video. At 56 seconds into the video, you get a lovely shot of Derek's rear end. When he watched the clip the first time, he didn't notice it was him. I teased him, "What you can't recognize your own rear end?" Get the sarcasm? He just found out the tough side of driving tow trucks. Guess I can't tease him too much.

My heart goes out to Travis Lindsay's family as well as to Rory Symons (the passenger who is still in the hospital in serious condition) and his family. I am so sorry this tragedy has happened. I bless you that your hearts may be able to heal from the sadness you have had to endure. Travis is from our hometown of Spanish Fork and I know this community is here supporting you. My thoughts and prayers are with you all tonight. And to everyone reading this, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, wear your seat belt! I really don't want my husband having to pick up your car. It breaks my heart.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

They just left him????? Isn't that against the law? Seriously they must have been drunk if they just left the guy. I heard it on the news as well. Very sad

Anonymous said...

I saw this on the news and wondered if Derek was the one that had to tow it. Tough stuff to deal with.

Candice said...

That is such a sad reminder...I know people that never wear their seat belt and I always wonder how they can be so...foolish!

Eric and Jenny said...

I watched that on the news last night, it made me so sad. Poor Derek that must have been awful to be there at the scene. I never really that of that aspect of his job. What kind of friends just leave him there, such a sad story.