Friday, May 23, 2008

Flashback Friday to 1989

Sadly, I can't find any pictures from 1st grade. *tear* Maybe someone out there has some pictures they can send me. I am surprised that the year I have so many memories, there aren't any pictures. Anyways, here are some of my favorite memories from Mrs. Findleys 1st grade class.
1. The Teddy Bear picnic. It was so much fun and we got to paint a t-shirt during the picnic. We used sponges and "stamped" our shirts. I made a shirt with a few teddy bears on it. I cherished that shirt, but I am sure it was thrown out.
2. The books we wrote in class. They were giant size books that we wrote ourselves. I wrote a book about my experience when Mrs. Findley lost my tooth. I had gone out to the drinking fountain to get a drink and my tooth fell out. Mrs. Findley had set it on her desk so I could take it home with me. But when we went to get it, the tooth was gone! So she let me pick a prize out the treasure chest to make up for it. I believe I still got money from the tooth fairy too.
3. The songs we sang in class. "The Purple People Eater", "Triceratops", "Chicken Fat", and a bunch of America songs.
4. Mrs. Findley always dressed up as a green witch for Halloween. Then we had rootbeer made with dry ice as her "witch's brew". I really loved the long fingernails she wore with her costume.
5. I remember laughing every time she would erase the white board because she would use her middle finger to do it. We use to think she was flipping us off.

This was also the year that I convinced my Mom to be a Girl Scout Leader. Those were some fun years. She ended up being the leader until I was in 4th or 5th grade. I loved it. She taught me many lessons through Girl Scouts. The one I remember at least once a week is that we were not to eat until everyone had been served. (I think she did this to teach us respect and also because sometimes there weren't enough treats, so I was the one who would go without. But she would usually make up for it later.) I really loved first grade with Mrs. Findley and made lots of memories.

1 comment:

Tiff and Chris said...

I loved first grade. I will have to look through my scrapbook and upload the photo so I can send it too you. We all are so little! I loved the big books too. I wrote so-o many of them.