I took Brooke to the doctor today and we can basically sum it up by him saying, 'You had reason to be concerned.' I told him about everything that has gone on in the last 6 weeks. He asked me questions about any other changes. 'Have their been any changes in the immediate family?' No. 'Any changes with family at all? Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles?' Nope. My parents are leaving on their mission to Australia soon, but they haven't left yet. Brooke understands they are going to Australia and that Australia has kangaroos and koala bears, but she doesn't comprehend how far away it is. Plus she has no idea how long they are going to be gone for. She probably just thinks they are going for a vacation. 'Have you and your husband gone on a trip and left her with someone else?' No. 'Has she been with a babysitter a lot?' No. We hardly ever leave the kids with a sitter. I did tell him that we left her with Derek's Mom for about an hour so we could file our taxes and that she flipped out. And that I left her with our neighbor for an hour to go to Activity Days. No one new, she knows Grandma an our neighbor very well. Those have been the only sitters in a long time. I don't know of anyone who uses babysitters less than we do. We hardly ever have a date night. (We are going with some friends out to dinner tomorrow night and leaving the girls with my sister. We'll see how that goes!) 'Any body changes or weird things going on?' I told him that she has been having a lot of accidents lately. He said that it is defienetly related. He told me he would like for her so see a therapist and begin some counseling to maybe help idenify what is going on. He had asked me at the beginning if a student could come in and observe and I had said sure. He was speaking to her when he said something to the point of when a behavior continues for more than 3 weeks, or worsens, it is time to be concerned. He also told her something about it being hard to diagnose depression in a 4 year old, but that a therapist would be better qualified to make that call. Seriously, depression? I mean the thought had crossed my mind, but I don't know. I guess it just worries me for her future. If she is this upset at 4 years old, what are we going to do when she is a teenager and suffering from raging hormones?
I immediatly came home and called our insurance and then called to make an appointment to begin counseling. The doctor had assured me that we have been doing the right thing. He also gave me some ideas of things to do to make Brooke feel like she is important. So until her appointment, I am going to start doing the things we talked about and hopefully we can just start having better days! Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and your prayers. We really and truly appreciate you guys and what you do for us!
4 comments:
Goodness Brea I hadn't looked at your blog for awhile. I am so sorry about all that has been going on, it must be such a helpless feeling as a mom to just not know what to do or could be causing her trouble. I am so glad you followed your insticts and took her to the doctor. I saw that same Good Things Utah and I think it's wise to be on the lookout for any problems. I will keep your family in my prayers, hopefully the counselor will be able to help.
Finding awnsers is sometimes the hardest part... I think your on the right track... And yeah I'm in the same boat I hardly ever use a baby sitter.. Heck I did my taxes with my screaming two year old trying to turn my computer off (I so should have got some one to watch her for an hour sigh)
Hey Brea..
I have been reading all about what is going on with Brooke. That must be rough. I think it's so good that you got her into the doctor and I hope the therapist can help her work through this. Have you guys given her a blessing? If not, that would be a really good thing to do as well.
Keep us posted on her. She is such a sweetheart.
Hey Brea! I just found your blog, and I'm so sorry to hear about all that's happening with your little girl. Being a mommy is tough! I hope you can find some answers (I think we have the same pediatrician, he's a good doctor.) And if you want to get together BEFORE the weather is good, I'm all for that. It sounds like you might need some 'fun' mommy time. :) Talk to you later!
Post a Comment