Thursday, May 28, 2009

Brooke + Asthma....Again

Brooke has started coughing again! I wasn't seriously concerned about it because it was only every once in a while and it wasn't getting any worse. It'd only been about a week. The real reason I took her to the doctor was because DaKoda was pretty sick. Turns out, DaKoda only had a stomach virus and is on her way to feeling normal again. She still isn't herself and is cranky and clingy, but she is feeling better. But on Wednesday morning, after her having some pretty bad diarrhea, being up most of the night, and having thrown up Monday and Tuesday, I felt I needed to have her checked out. My girls' bodies seem to not be able to keep anything in when they are sick and they quickly become dehydrated. Hence the many hospitalizations. It isn't that we can't get them to drink, they just can't keep it in their little bodies. So when they start losing liquids, I start to panic. But, the doctor wasn't concerned about DaKoda. He said she was looking on the way to getting better. He was actually concerned about Brooke. He listened to her lungs and acted a little startled and asked her to cough. He asked me if we had ever had her on asthma medicine. I told him last year we thought she had asthma, but 2 days later, we found out it was RSV. So, we stopped the asthma medicine. He wasn't positive about it being asthma though. He said that if DaKoda started having the same cough that we were to let him to know ASAP. Because if DaKoda started coughing, then that meant that Brooke's cough is contagious, and that it would most likely be RSV. He said that both girls' symptoms could be early RSV, but he is hoping it's not.

So now Brooke is on two different inhalers. She coughs and coughs. It's the worst at night. I am little anxious and a little terrified that Brooke may have a life long illness. I was diagnosed with asthma at 14 years old after having my nose broken. Mine is more symptom induced. Like when I'm sick, or someone is smoking near me, or when I run. Oh, and apparently when I am pregnant. During both pregnancies, somewhere in my 4th month, I had an asthma attack. Both so bad that my inhaler didn't work and I had to go to the hospital. With DaKoda, my chest hurt so bad that they felt it necessary to x-ray my chest to check for further problems. Thank goodness there weren't any. But since adulthood, these 2 attacks were the only serious ones and pretty much the only time I even used my inhaler. I've learned to avoid the 'symptoms' or environment if that makes sense.

While I am hoping that Brooke doesn't have RSV, I really don't want her to have asthma either. I don't want to have to be concerned about her breathing the rest of my life. Awww, the anxiety of being a Mother. Hence the influx of posts today. I had to do something to keep my mind off it for a while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your poor girls are sick so much! I feel bad for all of you.

Asthma can be pretty debilitating, but thankfully it's more controllable than other maladies. Makua is on one daily inhaler and then has an emergency inhaler. He has a cold right now, but it doesn't seem to be triggering anything. A cold caused his last asthma episode.

Hang in there! Hopefully she gets better soon.