Sunday was the first time I took Brooke to Primary. We are not regular attendees of church. When we do go, we usually only make it through Sacrament. Derek doesn't join us, so I only go when my sister, JoLyn is willing or able to go with us. There is just no way I can sit with both of them alone. Brooke always needs to go to the bathroom. Literally every time. Even if I make her go right before we leave the house. I think the Sacrament water goes right through this kid! jk There is just no way I can get up and take both of them to the bathroom. Then there were the Sundays where I spent then entire Sacrament outside. Okay, this really only happened once. We were on vacation with my parents and sister, Krista, who are 100% regular attendees. So we go along. DaKoda literally screamed outside for an hour. I kept thinking, why did I get out of bed, rush to take a shower, dry my hair, get the girls all dressed up, for THIS? Yes, I have a hard time making it to church. It's not that I don't want to be there, I do. But when I feel like I am not getting anything out of it because I am too busy with the little ones, why waste the time? I know I have a poor attitude about it.
Anyway, this past week, JoLyn and I decided that we just needed to stay the entire time. The kids will never get use to it, if we never go. So we split up. I took Brooke and she took DaKoda for her first time in nursery. Brooke was really good. She spoke up when they talked to her. She told them her name, first and last. They asked if we were new, I told them no, we just never stay for Primary. They asked Brooke to come to the front and they sang to her. I totally thought she was going to have a melt down. Before preschool, she definitely would have. But she stood there and actually smiled. SMILED!! I was so happy. They asked me to stay with her class and help out her teacher. I was going to stay anyway, but holy cow!! There were 11 Sunbeams! How could I not help out? Brooke was so excited when her teacher walked in with her son. Her son, Jito, happens to be in Brooke's preschool class! Her teacher clearly spoke Spanish, so it was really hard to understand her. I had a hard time understanding her. So I spent a lot of time repeating questions for her and calling on kids for their answers. It was a little nerve wracking, because I didn't know any of the kids, but by the end, I almost think I could teach in Primary. I know I could do the lesson, because I use to have to teach the Young Adults Sunday School class before I left my parents ward. (We each use to take a turn teaching the class. I actually found that I liked it. But, I don't think I could ever teach someone older than me. Or someone who knew a lot more than me- which is pretty easy. Just have Sunday dinner with my parents. They are super smarter than I think I ever will be.) Teaching kids for an hour once a week could be interesting. Not that I am requesting a calling any time soon. I am not even a visiting teacher right now. Obviously, I still need to work on not using my kids as an excuse.
JoLyn ended up staying in Nursery as well. They were a little short handed as well. They had all but one child on their roster show up. I am not sure what the count was, but when I walked in at the end, there were a lot of kids in there. JoLyn reported that DaKoda did fine for about 20 minutes. She stood back against the wall to see what she would do, and when she finally noticed that Jo, nor I were around, I guess she panicked. She calmed down, and fully participated in all the activities. Maybe next week, or the week after we can leave her alone in there. Once she gets to recognize the leaders, I think she will do just great. As for Brooke, I may have to stay for a few more weeks, to get her use to it, but I am praying that I can get myself to Relief Society for some much needed guidance. Just writing this, makes me realize just how old my kids are. I can't believe this day has come.
2 comments:
I think as a mother who is trying to teach her children about church.....I think the lord understands that we are trying and doing what we physcaly need to be doing to full fill what he wants us to be doing and... After a while the girls will get used to the rouitine and love church and the friends they will make there... The frist week is the hardest...
Oh Brea I can totally sypmathize with you, with Eric gone there is so many times pretty much every week that I think why am I even bothering, I spend ALL my time out in the foyer because it's so true if one kid needs to go out the other follows and then it just seems silly to go back in. My mom told me a good point though she said "if nothing else at least your kids are learning that we go to church". I try to remind myself that every week.....though it is definitely hard without a husband there to help.
Post a Comment