Over Thanksgiving weekend, Derek was sick the entire time. He thought maybe it was a sinus infection or maybe a cold. When the rest of us didn't get sick right away, I figured it must have been the sinus infection. On Tuesday morning, Brooke woke up running a fever. I gave her some Tylenol. I let Brooke take her lunch into my room to eat alone and watch TV. After DaKoda and I finished eating, I went to check on her and found this:
Poor girl fell asleep before eating any of her lunch. Brooke does not fall asleep anywhere except her bed, or a few times in the car. She had been coughing most of the morning. I called the doctors office to speak with the nurse to see if there was anything else I could give her for the coughing. The nurse asked me to bring her in because croup had been going around a lot lately. I told her, " Actually, now that you mention it, it does sound like a croupy cough." As soon as the doctor heard her cough, he said, "Yep, it's croup." They gave her a steroid and a breathing treatment. The doctor said, "Well, I guess we'll see you guys either tomorrow or the next day when DaKoda starts coughing." We didn't even make it 24 hours. (We had to wait until she was coughing to treat her, otherwise it wouldn't have done any good.) So DaKoda received the same treatment and all four of us have been coughing ever since. Derek is better now, Brooke still coughs every now and then, but DaKoda and I are still fighting it. My head feels like someone slammed into it, and my nose won't quit running, but at least I am not coughing like the girls are.
I just can't believe that in less than one year we have had 4 major illnesses travel through our house. Last January DaKoda was hospitalized for bronchitis. Brooke was hospitalized in March for RSV. DaKoda was hospitalized in July when tonsillitis in combination with the stomach flu made her dehydrated. And now, the croup. At least we haven't had to end up in the hospital for this one. Although I was really worried that he might make DaKoda when he first checked her. She was running a 103 degree fever and her blood oxygen level was 93. After her breathing treatment is was down to a 92. Shouldn't the breathing treatment have made her oxygen go up? However, the doctor felt like she would do okay at home and that he knew I was a watchful parent and that I was to page him at any change for the worse. She has been doing better, but she runs a fever every now and then. I am hoping to get better soon so that I can finish my Christmas shopping.
Grandpa Larry is sick, Please pray for him:
My sister-in-law, Melissa, has a wonderful Father. He has really become like another Father to me. Larry is kind, caring and has such a great sense of humor. I don't know of a time when he wasn't teasing someone. His amazing wife Coleen, past away 10 years ago this last October due to cancer. However, Larry has continued watching out for all of us and continues to make us laugh. We love him so very much. He quickly became 'Grandpa' Larry to my kids. I also feel a special connection to Larry and Coleen. We share the same wedding anniversary. Which happens to be today!! December 12th. Happy Anniversary Larry and Coleen! We all love his wonderful cooking. He makes the best hamburgers. I love going to Payson every Labor Day and celebrating with the entire family and having Larry's yummy hamburgers. Well, on December 2nd, Melissa took Larry to the hospital to have a colonoscopy. Unfortunately, the doctors found cancer in his colon. While they were either running tests, or during the surgery (I am not sure when exactly it was) they found cancer on his liver as well. Larry has since made it out of the ICU, but he continues to not do very well. I feel so unsporting because we can't go visit him while being sick ourselves. I send my love to him, but it doesn't feel like enough. So I am asking everyone to please remember 'Grandpa' Larry in your prayers. We love you Larry and wish you the best recovery. Sadly, at this point they are pretty sure that Larry will be in the hospital over Christmas. What a sad place to be on one of the happiest days of the year. Again, please remember Larry in your thoughts and prayers.
No comments:
Post a Comment