Friday, September 26, 2008

High School Tag

1. Did you date someone from your school?
Yes for two years. He was excited about what happened on 9/11 because we would be going to war. He joined the Marines and then broke up with me. No warning, nothing. Just two days prior, he sat on the phone professing his love for me. So incredibly glad now that we broke up. I just don't quite understand what I really saw in him.

2. What kind of car did you drive?
Quiksilver, away! I had a silver/gray four door '89 Chevy Cavalier. I loved my car until I wrecked it Senior year. Only accident I've ever caused, although I have been in like 6 accidents.

3. Did you pass your drivers license test on the first try?
I actaully didn't care about getting my license. I had siblings who all had cars and were pretty generous about giving me rides. My boyfriend had a car. And I didn't have a job. Where did I really need to go? I didn't want to take Drivers Ed in school, so I took a two week course through A-1 Driving School. Unfortunately, the month before, they passed the new law saying that you had to have so many practice hours in before you could take your driving test. For the written test, I studied, but I didn't feel very good about taking the test. I walked into the DMV, and thought to myself, if you fail, you know what you're doing next time, and I could study better and then pass the second go around. While I was taking the test, I had glanced around at other people who had the study book in front of them. I was like, wait, are they cheating? After seeing so many people with books, I shrugged it off, and thought, well, next time, we'll bring the book with. So after I finished the test, I took it up to be checked, and saw a stack of books that were available to look at during the test. After building it up in mind that I would come back, I said forget it, and handed in my test. Turns out, I got a 91% all on my own!
Well, you can only have your drivers permit for 6 months before having to renew it. You were supposed to have 30 hours of practice before you could take the driving test, and I only had 22 hours. So my Dad drove me to go have it renewed. When we told the man at the desk what we needed, he asked me how many hours I was short. I told him 8. He said, well, let's just go do your test anyway. My Dad had brought his truck, which I had never driven before, so we called my sister to bring her car down. (The car that became mine when she got married. Quiksilver.) She had backed the car in, trying to be nice. The DMV guy joked about it, but didn't give me a hard time. We went driving and he knocked me down for doing 32 in a 30 over a bridge. He said you need to slow down over bridges. Ummm, okay. Then he knocked me for not using my emergency brake when I parallel parked. Didn't comment on my awesome ability to parallel park. Then he knocked me because he told me to back up, now stop! And I turned my head around like two seconds before the car came to a complete stop. He said I could have hit a kid in those two seconds. Hello? I was only doing like 5 miles an hour, but it made me soooo consiensess of backing up, that to this day, I do not turn around until my car has completely stopped. So I guess he did some good. Well, for each infraction, I was docked two points. So I passed with a 94%. So with both tests, I went with no intentions on passing that day, but I did. I guess I have needed to work on my self confidence for a while now.

4. Were you a party animal?
Not really. I stayed out late the night of dances, but it was usually at my boyfriends house just watching a movie. Boring! I didn't go to many parties. If you were in my class, you would understand it when I say, I never went to Lava, Pine View or any of the cool places that the cool kids were hanging out at.

5. Were you considered a flirt?
I don't really know. I know I was told that a few times, but I'm not really sure. I was when Cara and I were around people we probably would never see again. Like when we would go camping, or go to Lagoon. Then I was a pretty big flirt. I have told Derek some of the stories, and he thinks I was a big flirt, or something worse. I kissed a lot of boys back then. I was pretty silly.

6. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir?
I was in Choir since the 8th grade. I love to sing, but only in a group. I don't do the solo thing. My senior year, I was the class secretary. It was pretty fun. I liked having the responsibilities.

Where is number 7?

8. Were you on any varsity teams?
Nope. After I broke my nose, the doctor said the tissue would never totally harden in my nose, so I wasn't supposed to play any agressive sports, or ones where balls could fly at my head. Plus I ended up with asthma from it, so that ruled out a lot as well. Otherwise I had really wanted to play soccer. I loved soccer, it was one of my dreams to play in high school. Darn broken nose did sooo much damage.

9. Did you get suspended/ expelled?
No, but in 7Th grade, I told a substitute no when she told me to shut up, so I was sent to In School Suspension for one day when my teacher came back. In School Suspension was pretty lame. You just did your work in another classroom for the day.

10. Can you still sing the song?
I can hum the tune, but I screw up a lot of the words. We didn't have to memorize it in my Sophomore English class like most of the other classes. Now I wish we would have. We did sing the Alma Mater song in Choir and I remember most of that. 'Stand Tall for the Alma Mater....'

11. Who were your favorite teachers?
By far, Mrs. Fillmore. If any of you had her, let me know if you want an update about her. Cara after extensive research just found her down in Arizona. I am so glad to be able to catch up with her. She has been through tremendous things and she is still just as amazing to me. I also liked Ms. Avondet. She was fun to talk to. I actually liked Mr. Hymas, which many people considered the hardest teacher at Northridge. As long as you didn't screw around, he was actually pretty nice. I took his sociology class and had a blast. Really brought to my attention that I love studing people. I love to see how others live their lives. I love to know what others eat, what television shows they like, what things they do for fun. (If you want to let me know about any of those, I would love to hear what you have to say. I usually take recommendations about TV shows. I actually just watched Grey's Anatomy for the first time tonight and I think I am completely hooked. All because I hear often that others really like it.) But I would have to say that Mrs. Fillmore was my absolute favorite. We did many things with her outside of school. She was always my go to teacher whenever I had a problem.

12. Where did you sit during lunch?
Most of the time, we sat underneath the stairs in the commons. I can't really remember sitting anywhere else.

13. What is your schools full name?
Northridge High School

14. School mascot and colors?
Knights, Cardinal and Silver. (Cardinal is a variation of Maroon.)

15. Did you go to Homecoming and with who?
I went all three years of high school. My Sophomore year I went with Jon Hinds. He was my boyfriend at the time. It was both of ours first dates. My Junior year I went with Kris Speth. He didn't go to our school, he was actually graduated at the time. He was my current boyfriend, but without my knowledge at the time, he took out of my best friends to breakfast that morning. Then after the dance, instead of him going home after dropping me off, he went to watch a movie where he cuddled and kissed that same friend. I didn't learn this till weeks later. I did eventually forgive that friend, but after high school we lost touch. I would love to know how she is now.

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you?
To be honest, way too much drama. I love where I am at now. I am glad that through the internet and the world of blogging, I feel like I am able to have a lot better friendships with people from high school than I ever could have back then. Seriously, there are many of you who I am so glad to know you now and kick myself that we weren't friends then. But, sometimes I think we have more in common now, than we ever could have in high school. Does that make sense?

17. What do you remember most about graduation?
Being able to sit by two really great friends through the ceremony. Carly Oliverson and Krisdee Oleson. I still keep in touch with both of them and they are still great friends. After the ceremony, my family and Cara's family went to the Cracker Barrel for lunch. I remember thinking while we sat there, this is the first and will probably be the last time both our families sat at the same table. Not that our families didn't get along, we just never did anything together.

18. Where did you go Senior skip day? I am with Jamie, I don't remember having one. We just ditched whenever we felt like it. Anytime you could find someone to go with you. There were classes you just couldn't skip and I swear my friends and I had conflicting schedules. We still ditched as much as possible. And I ended up getting one C+, one A- and the rest were A's my Senior year. (The C+ was in choir because my group bailed the last second for a competition.) But when we did skip, we would go to someone's house if their parents weren't there or their parents didn't care. We also frequented Farmington canyon. Once we even went to SLC. Fun times. We also went 4 byin (that's what we called it) and jumped Carly's SVU a lot. Now there are shopping centers where we use to go.

19. Were you in any clubs?
I was in the Sign Language club for a while, but the teacher just went too fast for me, so I had to quit. I am a slow learner when it comes to second languages.

20. Have you gained some weight since then?
Until I got pregnant with Brooke I was the same weight. I almost lost all of the baby weight from Brooke before I got pregnant with DaKoda. I was up like maybe 15 pounds. But then with DaKoda, I gained 20 more pounds while being pregnant, and then nursing did me over. I read somewhere that if you have high metabolism and start breastfeeding, your body will hold onto a lot of fat for fear that your body might have a hard time making enough milk. Since I stopped nursing, I have lost 20 pounds already. And they just keep coming. Yeah, I am walking on my treadmill that I got right after I stopped, but I don't think I can count all of the loss to walking. I have at least 10 more pounds to lose before I feel back to normal. I think it will happen.

21. Jamie, I'm not sure what the question was, so let me know what it is, so I can leave an answer. :) Was it something about having any regrets?

22. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion?
I went to the 5 year and I thought it was fun hearing what people were up to, so yeah. I would love to go to the 10 year.

23. Did you have a job while in high school?
Between Jr and Sr year I worked at Hill Air Force Base. It was temporary summer help. I loved it. I really didn't have many responsibilities. Answer the phone, pick up the mail, etc. I had a lot of fun. Then October of my Sr year I started seasonal help at Sam's Club. They asked me to stay, but I decided not to. But after I wrecked my Quicksilver in February, I went back. I worked there until October of 2004 when they fired me. (Sidenote I thought about posting by itself, but here is just as good. I went to Sam's Club yesterday to pick up some diapers and toilet paper and ran into the store manager. He said whenever I wanted to come back, let him know and he would get things started. I kind of chuckled and said, no, I really like being at home. Kind of nice for him to finally realize what they lost. But after they fired me being 5 almost 5 months pregnant and they tried to fight me filing for unemployment, I just don't see how I could ever work for them again!)

Cara once asked me why I blog stalk, and converse with some of you old classmates. She says, well, you weren't really friends with them, so why? But I feel like you are my friends now, so what difference does it make? I am not going to not speak to you just because we didn't hang out in high school. None of you were mean to me, we just may have not been that close, so why can't we be close now? And I don't feel like I have many really great friends right now, so it's great to come here to the blogging world and read that someone I know feels the same way I do. Or had the same thing happen, or their kids did something crazy that reminds me I'm not alone. Thanks all of you for making me like a real person.

8 comments:

Aleese and Scott said...

That was a fun tag! It brought back so many memories from high school and I loved hearing about what your high school years were like!

Jamie said...

Number 16 is so true for me too, You couldn't have said it better!!

Jamie said...

P.s- I liked Sociology as well with Hymas. The question was what was your favorite prom memory.

Eric and Jenny said...

This is one of the cutest tags I have seen in a while. It's so true there are alot of people from our class that blog, it was fun reading about different high school experiences. For the record I think you are such a sweet person, and I too am glad for the opportunity to get to know you through blogs!

Tiff and Chris said...

What a good tag! About my signature...go to cutestblogsontheblock.com and click on the 'Tips' Tab and it will show you how. Its not too hard :)

Ashley and Devan said...

Fun tag! I loved hearing about all of your high school memories. I also liked Mr. Hymas.

Thiago & Teri said...

Very cute Brea...I am glad we are blogging friends too. Who would have thought after all these years, we can all reconnect through the blogging world. Such fun!

Catmull's said...

Fun post! I am glad that we can make new friends after highschool too. Wouldn't it suck if we were stuck with only the friends we had when we left. Glad we all grew up. I think it's fun to see eachother in our blogs.