Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July fun!

We went to Kanab for the 4Th of July and Derek's birthday. We left on the 3rd and spent the night at Derek's boss's condo in St. George. Then we woke up early and left for Kanab in order to make it in time for the parade.

This was the view I had the entire trip in the car. Derek's brother, Jesse, wanted to take his motorcycle for it's first long trip. We offered to follow him in case of any problems. The only problem occurred only 102 miles into the trip.... Jesse ran out of gas!! Right after an on ramp. Derek got back in the car, told me that Jesse had ran out of gas and said that we were about to do something illegal. We were going to turn around on the emergency only turn around and go back to the gas station that was right off the freeway. I told him, "Oh no you're not!!!" Derek asked why and I told him, "Because a highway patrol car just pulled up behind us." Derek got out to talk to the officer and he told him that Jesse had just ran out of gas. The officer actually told us that if it were him that he would turn around on the emergency only turn around and that he never saw anything. So from there on out, we spent the rest of the trip getting gas about every 50 miles. That made for a long trip. Derek's mom first thought it was because of the girls that we stopped so much, but actually the girls were great.

This is the morning of the 4Th. We had arrived so late in St. George and then got up so early, that the girls fell asleep and slept most of the just over an hour drive.

This was my attempt on getting a picture of DaKoda sleeping on the way. I love having this mirror to see what she is doing. I wish I had found it when Brooke was this little. It would have saved a lot of headaches searching for her binky. Oh well, you live and learn.
I love the beautiful scenery you get when driving throughout Utah. Where else can you see snowy mountains and lush desert all in a few hours driving?

Isn't Brooke lovely when she first wakes up? I think it's hilarious when she scowls like this.

DaKoda and her precious Cheetos. She didn't want to eat them, just munch up the bag.

Isn't this cool? It was actually really fun to watch the people riding it in. It was a pretty bumpy ride.
Derek's sister, Josie, and her son, Matthew. The headband was thrown to us during the parade. They threw candy, FROZEN otter pops, necklaces, flags, and these cute headbands. I was surprised at all the stuff they threw out.
DaKoda trying on the headband. She is also wearing a necklace that was thrown to us.

The fire department sprayed water as they went down the street! It was so much fun. They said the more you called them on, the more they would spray you. Derek's mom was so hot, so started jumping and screaming for them to spray us. Thanks Janet!! Brooke was really mad that she got wet. She started crying. Poor girl.
DaKoda didn't care at all. She didn't even act like anything had happened. There was water dripping down her face.
The fireworks were awesome! The park is right up against two giant cliffs and so the fireworks echo. I love it. You get double the booms. You can even hear them lighting them and shooting off. Kanab's fireworks are the best I have ever been to. Even though they only lasted 20 minutes, the scenery and the echos make them seem so much longer. The picture above is of the flag lit up at the park. We sat right behind the flag, so the fireworks were all showcased by the gorgeous flag. So amazing!

I tried to get a shot of what the fireworks looked like with the flag in front, but I couldn't get it just right and Derek thought I was making others made with my camera flash. So I quit before getting a great picture, but you get the idea.
This was DaKoda's first 4Th of July. I was curious what she would think about everything. She didn't care much about the parade. She just sat and people watched. (One of her favorite pastimes.) At first DaKoda didn't even know that the fireworks were going on. Once we got her attention, she was mesmerized. I'm glad that she enjoyed the holiday. The 4Th is one of my favorite holidays and it was fun to share ti with family.

2 comments:

Eric and Jenny said...

Happy late birthday to your husband! That sounds like a great 4th of July, I love those pictures of your girls sleeping in the car. That mirror is a smart little thing, I should have thought of that when Luke was a baby. Oh well maybe the next one.

Jen said...

Fun, fun, fun. I love the mirror you've got for DaKoda... especially that it looks like it entertains her too. We only have a boring one that doesn't do anything.